Kolkata(formerly known as Calcutta) also known by City Of Joy. Especially, is a hub of education, commercial, culture center of the eastern part of India. Consequently, the tram is still running there which also enhances the beauty of the city.
The contribution of several laureates towards Kolkata heritage is unaccountable.
To enhance more about heritage and literature in Kolkata. The West Bengal Transport Corporation (WBTC) inaugurated the Tram Library. In fact, will run in the College Street area. It will traverse around 4.5km between Shyambazar and Esplanade.
It will establish a great exposure for all the bibliophiles. For those who will travel across Kolkata. Especially, it would be a beautiful and small edition in Kolkata’s literary landscapes.
The main motto of its introduction as stated by the Chief Of West Bengal Transport Corporation (WBTC) Rajanvir Singh Kapur is to attract the maximum number of students from different colleges and schools along its route.
Moreover, he also said that;
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE TRAM
- The tram will cover at least 30 educational institutes along the route. Some of these include Calcutta University, Presidency University, Scottish Church College, Hindu School, Hare School, and the Calcutta Girls’ School.
- It will consist of free Wi-Fi which will help the passengers traveling in it to read e-books
- In the future, authorities are planning to host events such as book reading sessions, book launches, and other literary festivals. Besides that, a tram literature event will be held in November.
- The library has books, magazines, and various books of competitive exams such as civil services, GRE, GMAT, and many more. Moreover, providing free pens to all the passengers traveling in it.
- The health of the passengers will be kept as a priority. Therefore, proper sanitization of tram cars will occur after every shift. All norms will be followed under the COVID-19 pandemic.
- To preserve the heritage of the Kolkata this tram has been introduced. Kolkata is the only city that is still having a tram network. Kolkata trams are the oldest trams running in Asia and this will prove a great contribution to the heritage.
AUTHOR : KRITIKA AGARWAL
Do read our other articles–https://akashbaani.com/late-legendary-s-p-balasubrhmanyam-s-p-b/