The Madhya Pradesh cabinet approves the religious freedom bill 2020. Especially to keep a handle on the rising cases of love Jihad in the state. The bill approved on 26th December 2020 by the Madhya Pradesh cabinet. This anti-love Jihad Bill proposes imprisonment of up to 10 years. Moreover, a fine of rupees 1Lakh for conversion through marriage. As government belongs to all religions and castes so no discrimination would be done.
AIM OF THE BILL
This Religious Freedom bill aims to end any religious conversion carried out due to greed, threat, betrayal, or by any other fraudulent reason. Moreover, provisions made to make such marriages null and void.
Once enforced, this will be the most stringent law in the country in respect of religious conversion carried out by fraudulent means. He also added that after approval this bill will replace the religious freedom act of 1968.The state Home Minister Narottam Mishra said
This bill is known as Dharma Swatantrya or Religious Freedom Bill 2020. While batting for the bill Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan addressed it.As the government’s Beti Bachao Abhiyan or save the daughter mission.
PROVINCES OF THE BILL
- After the approval by the cabinet, this bill will now be presented in the state assembly session.
- This bill is similar to the Uttar Pradesh last month Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Ordinance, 2020 by the BJP government.
- Offences under this law would be considered as cognizable as well as non-bailable.
- The imprisonment in the religious conversion of members from the scheduled castes, Scheduled Tribes and minors will be up to 2-10 years and Rs 50,000 fine.
- In the cases of marriage carried out by hiding religion, misrepresentation or impersonation. The imprisonment would be for 3-10 years with the fine of Rs 50,000.
- Any marriage organized just for the purpose of converting a person. Such as into another religion not validated from now onwards.
- Registration of any organization if found guilty in violation of this act get cancels.
- The sub-inspectors and other officers would investigate this offence. Also, to prove one’s innocence the accused will be responsible.
- All the maintenance will be given to the child born to the victim women. Moreover, the rights to inherit the father’s properties also added.
- For all those involved in religious conversion for marriages. Earlier must inform the district magistrate at least one month in advance. Also, with the religious person organizing the conversions.
- The complaint lodged by the converted person’s parents, guardians, custodians, brothers, sisters also considered.
Author : Kritika Agarwal
Do read our other article: Latest Parliament session updates of 2020
Featured Image Credits: images.outlookindia