PM of India with all CMs attended a virtual meeting and PM used the term “emerging second peak” or emergence of second wave.
PM addresses CMs of all states on covid 19 second wave issue in India
Prime Minister Narendra Modi (PM)with all Chief Ministers(CMs) attended a virtual meeting on increasing corona virus cases in India and eventually PM used the term “emerging second peak” or emergence of second wave, which is a sign for the people to be cautious on the ongoing pandemic.
PM added that 70 districts of the country have seen an increase of more than 150% in the last few weeks.
“If we don’t stop it here, a situation of a nationwide outbreak can come up” PM Modi said.
Emergence of second wave in India
At the same time, India recorded 35886 corona cases on March 17, 2021 making it the highest number cases in past 102 days with Maharashtra being the hub consisting of almost 64% of active corona cases. Also according to union health ministry new corona cases are increasing by 43% every week and 37% new deaths every day.
Rise of corona virus cases between March 1st to 15th in 70 districts across India
Furthermore between March 1 to 15, 2021 the active cases in corona virus have increased by 150 percent in 70 districts across 16 states in India and 55 districts in 17 states have increased upto 100 to 150 percent, the union health secretary Mr. Rajesh Bhushan said on March 17, 2021. in addition, he added that the union health ministry has advised these states to speed up vaccination and ensure that vaccines are available in sufficient amount.
Union ministry’s suggestion to improve testing and vaccination in various states
Mr. Bhushan also elaborated the improvements needed to be done regarding covid 19 testing and vaccination process. Increase in positive cases in each state and recommended increase in RT-PCR testing are given below
- In Maharashtra the positive cases rate has increased from 11% to 16%.
- In Punjab the positive cases rate has doubled and recommended 89 % increase in RT-PCR testing.
|State||Positive case rate on March 1, 2021 (in%)||Rate on March 15, 2021 (in%)||Recommended increase of RT-PCR testing (in %)|
Statistics on the corona affected districts by the union ministry of India.
Statistics are available for some of the corona affected districts across India.
|Districts affected by corona||State||Rise in corona cases|
Key points on PM’s address
- Controlling virus in rural area will be a tougher job for health sector
- Micro-containment zones should be declared without hesitation
- Take quick and decisive steps
- The self-confidence that we gained in our corona fight should not turn into overconfidence Our success should not be the reason for carelessness
- Amid the surge in Covid-19 cases, the country has vaccinated more than 3.50 crore people so far
- Meanwhile, the first confirmed case of Covid-19 caused by the South Africa variant of the killer virus has been detected in Delhi. We need to identify mutants and access their effects.
- The positive cases rate in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh is very high. Also, a central government team has warned that Maharashtra is at the “beginning” of the second wave of Covid-19 as the state alone accounts for 61.8% of the daily new cases with 17,864 case
- In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana 10% of covid vaccine shots are going waste. We need to look over them.
Authored by Indhirani K
Featured image :indianexpress